Drugs by Letter:
Where to order Aygestin with MasterCard and Visa?
Get 24% off from All-Medications.biz:
Remember this discount coupon code: allrxfinder
Tip: How to Use Coupon Code?
1. Go to All-Medications.biz.
2. Choice products and click "Add to cart".
3. Go to "Checkout" and enter your credit card MasterCard or Visa info.
4. Type or paste the coupon code allrxfinder above in the "Discount Coupon" box and press button "Add".
5. Complete your purchase.
Although the primary mechanism of action is inhibition of ovulation, alterations in the genital tract including changes in the cervical mucus (which increases the difficulty of sperm penetration) and the endometrium (which reduce the likelihood of implantation) may also contribute to contraceptive effectiveness
Aygestin is indicated for use as an oral contraceptive in the prevention of pregnancy.
Aygestin preparation offers a constant low dose of ethinyloestradiol with a variable dose of norethisterone.
Aygestin produces a contraceptive effect primarily by suppressing the hypothalamic pituitary system resulting in prevention of ovulation.
Long-term administration of combination type oral contraceptives may also produce a direct effect on ovarian steroidogenesis or the response of the ovary to gonadotrophins.
Oestrogenic, progestational and antigonadotrophic characteristics are revealed by the endocrine profile of these combinations.
The oestrogen compound, ethinyloestradiol, acts by suppressing secretion of follicle stimulating hormone (FSH), resulting in prevention of follicle development and the rise of plasma oestradiol which is thought to be the stimulus for releasing luteinising hormone (LH).
The progestogenic compound, norethisterone, primarily acts by inhibiting the preovulatory rise of LH.
Do not take Aygestin with any of the following drugs:
Possible loss of contraceptive effect:
This product may cause a slight decrease of contraceptive effect:
Aygestin side effects that you should report to your health care professional or doctor as soon as possible:
- Allergic rash;
- Amenorrhoea during and after treatment;
- Anovulation post treatment;
- Arterial thromboembolism;
- Breakthrough bleeding;
- Breast changes (tenderness/enlargement/secretion) spotting;
- Carcinomas or benign liver tumours;
- Cerebral haemorrhage;
- Cerebral thrombosis;
- Change in weight (increase or decrease);
- Changes in appetite;
- Changes in cervical erosion and cervical secretions;
- Changes in corneal curvature (steepening);
- Changes in menstrual flow;
- Cholestatic jaundice;
- Diminution in lactation when given immediately postpartum;
- Erythema multiforme;
- Erythema nodosum;
- Gastrointestinal symptoms (such as abdominal cramps and bloating);
- Haemorrhagic eruption;
- Hepatic adenomas;
- Impaired renal function;
- Intolerance to contact lenses;
- Melasma which may persist;
- Mental depression;
- Mesenteric thrombosis;
- Myocardial infarction;
- Pulmonary embolism;
- Reduced tolerance to carbohydrates;
- Retinal thrombosis;
- Temporary infertility after discontinuation of treatment;
- Vaginal candidases;
Reported Aygestin overdose symptoms are:
- Vaginal bleeding;
- Breast enlargement;
Other Brand Names
In some countries Aygestin may also be known as:
- Aygestin 21;
- Aygestin 28;
- Aygestin-1 21;
- Aygestin-1 28;
- Diva Total;
- Norethin 1/35 E;
- Norethin 1/50 M;
- Norethindrone Acetate;
- Norethindrone Norethisterone;